There are many different opinions on how to use hashtags for effective growth and I wanted to throw my hat in the ring.
I've been growing on Instagram for the last 3 years with my primary business @itstartswithjuice. It has reached over 205K followers and hashtags have played a major role in consistent growth. When I began The Six Figure Chick just over a year ago, having my tags together were part of my launch strategy. The page has reached over 117,000 followers. I used the same hashtag strategy for @richchicksociety and it has reached over 17,000 followers in the last 6 months.
So why do hashtags play such an important part in growth?
Here are two reasons hashtags are great:
1) Free advertising.
Hashtags are a great way to get your content in front of people seeking exactly what you offer. Many people follow hashtags all day long to find new inspiration, products, to check reviews and so many other things. With the right hashtags you are placed in front of those people whether it's hair styles, branding products, new shoes, or restaurant reviews you can be seen for free.
2) Consistency and User Generated Content
Posting on Instagram on a daily basis can be a daunting task, even more so if you post 2-3 times per day. We know being visible on a regular basis is important but what about those days you just can't come up with anything?
Hashtags to the rescue again! Creating your own custom tags that your audience can use to post their own related content will grow your influence and provide credibility to your brand. Customer endorsements build your business faster than most advertising strategies will due to them being genuine and organic. The bonus is you get content that you can also share on your page and your community will grow.
4 Facts You Should Know About Hashtags.
1. You can only use 30 hashtags on a post. The tags you use in the caption and in the comments count towards the 30 max.
2. Hashtags on private pages will not show up, of course your business page should not be on private anyways so in case you needed another reason why, here you go.
3. You should review/update your hashtags every 60-90 days. Instagram grows quickly so you want to stay on top of which tags work for your page and use them consistently.
4. Hashtags that you add in other pages comments don't work, you can only tag your own posts.